“I am honoured to guide the rebuilding of our department at a time when we are welcoming many new faculty members,” shares Squires. “I want to further develop a culture of academic excellence, to encourage involvement in departmental activities and to empower leaders to direct important departmental initiatives.”
Squires served as interim chair for the department since April 2014. He joined the University of Guelph and Department of Animal and Poultry Science in 1987. His research interests involve studies of metabolism and functional genomics to improve the health and productivity of commercial animals and to develop animal models for human metabolism, health and nutrition.
“Jim has shown leadership and enthusiasm over the last year as interim chair,” says Robert Gordon, Dean of the Ontario Agricultural College. “This is a critical time for the department. His commitment to the advancement of the department will ensure its trajectory for continued success.”
Squires received his PhD in biochemistry in 1984 from Memorial University of Newfoundland and completed a postdoc at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health in the United States before coming to Guelph. Squires has published more than 125 papers in referred journals, a textbook “Applied Animal Endocrinology” now in its second edition, several book chapters and numerous abstracts and technical publications.
News & Announcements
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- Studying animals (on an individual scale) with biosensors
- Graduate Seminar at Vern Osborne's Farm July 21, 2017
- Jean Szkotnicki Inducted into the Canadian Agricultural Hall of Fame
- 2017 ASAS-CSAS Graduate Student Poster Presentation Winner is Youngji Rho!
- 1 of 13
- next ›
2017/12/13 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2017/12/14 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/18 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:30pm