“I am honoured to guide the rebuilding of our department at a time when we are welcoming many new faculty members,” shares Squires. “I want to further develop a culture of academic excellence, to encourage involvement in departmental activities and to empower leaders to direct important departmental initiatives.”
Squires served as interim chair for the department since April 2014. He joined the University of Guelph and Department of Animal and Poultry Science in 1987. His research interests involve studies of metabolism and functional genomics to improve the health and productivity of commercial animals and to develop animal models for human metabolism, health and nutrition.
“Jim has shown leadership and enthusiasm over the last year as interim chair,” says Robert Gordon, Dean of the Ontario Agricultural College. “This is a critical time for the department. His commitment to the advancement of the department will ensure its trajectory for continued success.”
Squires received his PhD in biochemistry in 1984 from Memorial University of Newfoundland and completed a postdoc at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health in the United States before coming to Guelph. Squires has published more than 125 papers in referred journals, a textbook “Applied Animal Endocrinology” now in its second edition, several book chapters and numerous abstracts and technical publications.
News & Announcements
- Congratulations to Caitlin Decina and Julia Krumma (Harlander Lab) who won “Best Student Talk” and “Best Student Poster” at the UoG CCSAW Research Day 2018
- Congratulations to Drs. Andronie Verbrugghe and Anna-Kate Shoveller on 2018 Winn Feline Foundation Grant
- Success at Dairy Challenge in California!
- Congratulations to Patrick Birkl for receiving the Best Student Presentation Award!
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- 1 of 12
- next ›
2018/05/22 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2018/05/22 - 10:00am to 11:00am
2018/05/22 - 1:00pm to 2:30pm
2018/05/29 - 10:30am to 11:30am
2018/05/31 - 9:00am to 10:20am