On March 14, 2014 Prof. Emeritus Ian Duncan appeared on Marketplace, on CBC News discussing a recent turkey welfare issue. Videos have surfaced of abuse done to birds at an Ottawa turkey breeding facility owned by Hybrid Turkeys.
The videos show improper methods of euthanasia and are quite graphic. Prof. Duncan watches the video on the news and comments saying the birds are not being properly monitored and that the treatment of the animals is not acceptable.
He also mentions that the public would be "Horrified that this is how their food is being produced."
Information on Prof. Duncan can be found here: http://www.uoguelph.ca/abw/people/#duncan
APS News Thursday March 27th, 2014 By: Judy Stryker
News & Announcements
- 2017 ASAS Companion Animal Graduate Student Oral Presentation Winner Cara Cargo-Froom!
- The Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) Young Scientist Award Winner is Angela Cánovas!
- The Poultry Science Association Announces Its 2017 Award Winners - Gregoy Bedecarrats and Haley Leung
- Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Provides Funding for University of Guelph's Better Chicken Welfare Study
- Interview with an Animal Biology student
- Graduate Student Exercise Science Competition Winner at the Equine Science Society Symposium
- Professor Larry Schaeffer awarded ‘Doctor Honoris Causa’