Owen Roberts' column on the 25th Anniversary of the Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare was published in the Guelph Mercury Monday December 1st, 2014. In the article he describes the historical roll of the University of Guelph in animal welfare policy making in Canada. In conjunction with the Government of Canada the Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare at the University of Guelph has played an integral role in informing the science behind policy making and publications like the Codes of Practice for the Care and Handling of Farm Animals. Owen Roberts sites the centre's director, Prof. Tina Widowski's, comments on the fact that alternative housing systems are not synonymous with environmentally friendly farming practices. He also reminds us to be aware of farming practices and realise the meaning behind industry 'buzz' words.
Through the introduction of the Campbell Centre, an interdisciplinary group within the Animal and Poultry Science Department, the University of Guelph has worked alongside policy makers to continually inform and evolve animal husbandry and welfare on all fronts.
For the complete, original article please see the following link to the Guelph Mercury Site: http://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion-story/5161142-guelph-centre-helps-inform-animal-welfare-debate/
APS News Dec. 11, 2014 By Judy Stryker
News & Announcements
- 2017 ASAS Companion Animal Graduate Student Oral Presentation Winner Cara Cargo-Froom!
- The Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) Young Scientist Award Winner is Angela Cánovas!
- The Poultry Science Association Announces Its 2017 Award Winners - Gregoy Bedecarrats and Haley Leung
- Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Provides Funding for University of Guelph's Better Chicken Welfare Study
- Interview with an Animal Biology student
- Graduate Student Exercise Science Competition Winner at the Equine Science Society Symposium
- Professor Larry Schaeffer awarded ‘Doctor Honoris Causa’