Owen Roberts' column on the 25th Anniversary of the Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare was published in the Guelph Mercury Monday December 1st, 2014. In the article he describes the historical roll of the University of Guelph in animal welfare policy making in Canada. In conjunction with the Government of Canada the Campbell Centre for the Study of Animal Welfare at the University of Guelph has played an integral role in informing the science behind policy making and publications like the Codes of Practice for the Care and Handling of Farm Animals. Owen Roberts sites the centre's director, Prof. Tina Widowski's, comments on the fact that alternative housing systems are not synonymous with environmentally friendly farming practices. He also reminds us to be aware of farming practices and realise the meaning behind industry 'buzz' words.
Through the introduction of the Campbell Centre, an interdisciplinary group within the Animal and Poultry Science Department, the University of Guelph has worked alongside policy makers to continually inform and evolve animal husbandry and welfare on all fronts.
For the complete, original article please see the following link to the Guelph Mercury Site: http://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion-story/5161142-guelph-centre-helps-inform-animal-welfare-debate/
APS News Dec. 11, 2014 By Judy Stryker
News & Announcements
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- Studying animals (on an individual scale) with biosensors
- Graduate Seminar at Vern Osborne's Farm July 21, 2017
- Jean Szkotnicki Inducted into the Canadian Agricultural Hall of Fame
- 2017 ASAS-CSAS Graduate Student Poster Presentation Winner is Youngji Rho!
- 1 of 13
- next ›
2017/12/13 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2017/12/14 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/15 - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
2017/12/18 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/18 - 2:00pm to 3:00pm