The Department of Animal and Poultry Science (APS) is pleased to welcome Dr. Kate Shoveller as an Assistant Professor in Companion Animal Nutrition. Shoveller joined the department on August 4, 2015.
“We are very pleased to have Kate join our department,” says Jim Squires, chair of APS. “This is a critical role for both APS and the University. Her research expertise in amino acid metabolism, behaviour and nutrition will bolster our focus in companion animal nutrition and directly benefit our students in the animal biology program.”
In this position, Shoveller will conduct cutting edge research and mentor graduate students in nutrition during gestation, lactation and early development in companion animals, the effects of nutrition on behaviour in dogs and cats, and ingredient quality. She will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in nutrition focused on companion animals and also hopes to develop courses that specifically focus on pet food.
“It is an honour to teach and mentor the next generation of scientists and also support the rapidly growing companion animal industry with relevant research,” shares Shoveller. “My personal mission is to improve the lives of cats and dogs and the people who love and need them."
Shoveller completed her Bachelor of Science in Animal Biology at the University of Guelph and returned to APS as a post doctoral fellow. Since 2007 she has been working in research and development in the pet food industry, most recently with Mars Pet Care as a senior scientist.
"I am excited to join the faculty at the University of Guelph, an institution that has played such a vital role in my life,” adds Shoveller.
News & Announcements
- Congratulations to Caitlin Decina and Julia Krumma (Harlander Lab) who won “Best Student Talk” and “Best Student Poster” at the UoG CCSAW Research Day 2018
- Congratulations to Drs. Andronie Verbrugghe and Anna-Kate Shoveller on 2018 Winn Feline Foundation Grant
- Success at Dairy Challenge in California!
- Congratulations to Patrick Birkl for receiving the Best Student Presentation Award!
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- 1 of 12
- next ›
2018/05/22 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2018/05/22 - 10:00am to 11:00am
2018/05/22 - 1:00pm to 2:30pm
2018/05/29 - 10:30am to 11:30am
2018/05/31 - 9:00am to 10:20am