Weaning horses does not have to be as stressful as we once thought. In nature the mare adopts a gradual weaning process where in horse breeding practices weaning in typically abrupt. By using a more gradual process of weaning and innovative GPS and telemetry devices, foals weaned gradually were seen to be less stressed by the process. Dr. Katrina Merkies' lab has worked to validate the use of GPS and tri-axial data loggers in conjunction with more traditional fecal steroid analysis, to measure stress response in recently weaned foals.
News & Announcements
- 3MT Winners Announced!
- U of G Researchers Ensure Access to Nutritional Information for Farmed Fish and Aquatic Organisms
- Making better milk through cow behaviour
- Respecting research animals
- ABSc Twitter page
- Research Relationships Focus on Mink Mating
- Students Bolster Wikipedia’s Pet Nutrition Content with Science
2017/12/13 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2017/12/14 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/18 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:30pm