Weaning horses does not have to be as stressful as we once thought. In nature the mare adopts a gradual weaning process where in horse breeding practices weaning in typically abrupt. By using a more gradual process of weaning and innovative GPS and telemetry devices, foals weaned gradually were seen to be less stressed by the process. Dr. Katrina Merkies' lab has worked to validate the use of GPS and tri-axial data loggers in conjunction with more traditional fecal steroid analysis, to measure stress response in recently weaned foals.
News & Announcements
- Animal Welfare Leadership and Innovation Award
- Food Institute Special Project
- Graduate Student Position Available - Animal Breeding and Functional Genomics
- 3MT Winners Announced!
- U of G Researchers Ensure Access to Nutritional Information for Farmed Fish and Aquatic Organisms
- Making better milk through cow behaviour
- Respecting research animals