Weaning horses does not have to be as stressful as we once thought. In nature the mare adopts a gradual weaning process where in horse breeding practices weaning in typically abrupt. By using a more gradual process of weaning and innovative GPS and telemetry devices, foals weaned gradually were seen to be less stressed by the process. Dr. Katrina Merkies' lab has worked to validate the use of GPS and tri-axial data loggers in conjunction with more traditional fecal steroid analysis, to measure stress response in recently weaned foals.
News & Announcements
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- Studying animals (on an individual scale) with biosensors
- Graduate Seminar at Vern Osborne's Farm July 21, 2017
- Jean Szkotnicki Inducted into the Canadian Agricultural Hall of Fame
- 2017 ASAS-CSAS Graduate Student Poster Presentation Winner is Youngji Rho!
- 1 of 12
- next ›