Weaning horses does not have to be as stressful as we once thought. In nature the mare adopts a gradual weaning process where in horse breeding practices weaning in typically abrupt. By using a more gradual process of weaning and innovative GPS and telemetry devices, foals weaned gradually were seen to be less stressed by the process. Dr. Katrina Merkies' lab has worked to validate the use of GPS and tri-axial data loggers in conjunction with more traditional fecal steroid analysis, to measure stress response in recently weaned foals.
News & Announcements
- Congratulations to Caitlin Decina and Julia Krumma (Harlander Lab) who won “Best Student Talk” and “Best Student Poster” at the UoG CCSAW Research Day 2018
- Congratulations to Drs. Andronie Verbrugghe and Anna-Kate Shoveller on 2018 Winn Feline Foundation Grant
- Success at Dairy Challenge in California!
- Congratulations to Patrick Birkl for receiving the Best Student Presentation Award!
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- 1 of 12
- next ›
2018/05/22 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2018/05/22 - 10:00am to 11:00am
2018/05/22 - 1:00pm to 2:30pm
2018/05/29 - 10:30am to 11:30am
2018/05/31 - 9:00am to 10:20am