New Department Name: Animal Biosciences
The Department of Animal & Poultry Science has been re-named the Department of Animal Biosciences.
President Vaccarino approved the renaming and notified the University of Guelph Senate late last week.
“After a long consultation period with our staff, students, faculty and alumni, I am so pleased to see the department re-named,” shares Jim Squires, chair of the Department of Animal Biosciences. “The new name captures the breadth and evolution of the department and it better reflects our research and teaching capacity.”
Squires says that many internal and external audiences don’t realize the department works in genetics, physiology, welfare and behaviour, animal models for health, animal metabolism, reproduction, nutrition, equine management, animal care and the social and environmental impacts of both livestock and companion animals.
He and the department’s staff, faculty and students feel the new name will better communicate the department’s mandate to others.
“Over the last 140 years the mandate of the department has increased beyond production to include disciplines including companion and non-traditional farm animals, bio-products, and animals in human health,” explains Rob Gordon, dean of the Ontario Agricultural College.
“The new name helps describe the department’s evolution from a livestock husbandry department in the 1870’s to the highly dynamic and integrated department it is today.”
Over the coming months, communications and documents will be updated to reflect this change.
News & Announcements
- OAC Dean Rob Gordon to Become VP Research at Laurier
- Congratulations to student Ilona Parenteau winning 2nd place at conference
- Precision Feeding is The Future of Swine Production by Library PigCHAMP (Sep 15, 2015)
- New Ag Women’s Network being fuelled by passion
- Pointing Researchers To Practical, Beneficial Beef Industry Projects
- AgInnovation Ontario - Firing up fibre digestion for hogs
- More Success at the 104th Poultry Science Annual Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky
2018/05/29 - 10:30am to 11:30am
2018/05/31 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2018/06/15 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm
2018/07/20 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm
2018/08/17 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm