New Department Name: Animal Biosciences
The Department of Animal & Poultry Science has been re-named the Department of Animal Biosciences.
President Vaccarino approved the renaming and notified the University of Guelph Senate late last week.
“After a long consultation period with our staff, students, faculty and alumni, I am so pleased to see the department re-named,” shares Jim Squires, chair of the Department of Animal Biosciences. “The new name captures the breadth and evolution of the department and it better reflects our research and teaching capacity.”
Squires says that many internal and external audiences don’t realize the department works in genetics, physiology, welfare and behaviour, animal models for health, animal metabolism, reproduction, nutrition, equine management, animal care and the social and environmental impacts of both livestock and companion animals.
He and the department’s staff, faculty and students feel the new name will better communicate the department’s mandate to others.
“Over the last 140 years the mandate of the department has increased beyond production to include disciplines including companion and non-traditional farm animals, bio-products, and animals in human health,” explains Rob Gordon, dean of the Ontario Agricultural College.
“The new name helps describe the department’s evolution from a livestock husbandry department in the 1870’s to the highly dynamic and integrated department it is today.”
Over the coming months, communications and documents will be updated to reflect this change.
News & Announcements
- 2017 ASAS Companion Animal Graduate Student Oral Presentation Winner Cara Cargo-Froom!
- The Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) Young Scientist Award Winner is Angela Cánovas!
- The Poultry Science Association Announces Its 2017 Award Winners - Gregoy Bedecarrats and Haley Leung
- Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Provides Funding for University of Guelph's Better Chicken Welfare Study
- Interview with an Animal Biology student
- Graduate Student Exercise Science Competition Winner at the Equine Science Society Symposium
- Professor Larry Schaeffer awarded ‘Doctor Honoris Causa’
2017/12/14 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/15 - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
2017/12/18 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/18 - 2:00pm to 3:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:00pm