New Department Name: Animal Biosciences
The Department of Animal & Poultry Science has been re-named the Department of Animal Biosciences.
President Vaccarino approved the renaming and notified the University of Guelph Senate late last week.
“After a long consultation period with our staff, students, faculty and alumni, I am so pleased to see the department re-named,” shares Jim Squires, chair of the Department of Animal Biosciences. “The new name captures the breadth and evolution of the department and it better reflects our research and teaching capacity.”
Squires says that many internal and external audiences don’t realize the department works in genetics, physiology, welfare and behaviour, animal models for health, animal metabolism, reproduction, nutrition, equine management, animal care and the social and environmental impacts of both livestock and companion animals.
He and the department’s staff, faculty and students feel the new name will better communicate the department’s mandate to others.
“Over the last 140 years the mandate of the department has increased beyond production to include disciplines including companion and non-traditional farm animals, bio-products, and animals in human health,” explains Rob Gordon, dean of the Ontario Agricultural College.
“The new name helps describe the department’s evolution from a livestock husbandry department in the 1870’s to the highly dynamic and integrated department it is today.”
Over the coming months, communications and documents will be updated to reflect this change.
News & Announcements
- Staff Position Available: Undergraduate Program Assistant
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Assistant/Associate Professor: Computational Biology Position Available
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- Studying animals (on an individual scale) with biosensors
- Graduate Seminar at Vern Osborne's Farm July 21, 2017
- 1 of 14
- next ›
2017/10/20 - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
2017/10/27 - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
2017/11/07 - 9:00am to 12:00pm