McDonald’s recent announcement that it will buy eggs for its Canadian restaurants from producers using free-run barns is a sign that the focus of animal welfare is not only on suffering but on animal psyche.
The barns give hens the room to carry out a number of behaviours that research has shown they are highly motivated to do, including the once-daily trip to lay their egg in a nest, says University of Guelph animal-welfare scientist Tina Widowski.
News & Announcements
- 3MT Winners Announced!
- U of G Researchers Ensure Access to Nutritional Information for Farmed Fish and Aquatic Organisms
- Making better milk through cow behaviour
- Respecting research animals
- ABSc Twitter page
- Research Relationships Focus on Mink Mating
- Students Bolster Wikipedia’s Pet Nutrition Content with Science
2017/12/13 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2017/12/14 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/18 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:00pm
2017/12/20 - 1:30pm to 4:30pm