McDonald’s recent announcement that it will buy eggs for its Canadian restaurants from producers using free-run barns is a sign that the focus of animal welfare is not only on suffering but on animal psyche.
The barns give hens the room to carry out a number of behaviours that research has shown they are highly motivated to do, including the once-daily trip to lay their egg in a nest, says University of Guelph animal-welfare scientist Tina Widowski.
News & Announcements
- U of G Researchers Ensure Access to Nutritional Information for Farmed Fish and Aquatic Organisms
- Making better milk through cow behaviour
- New Assistant Prof in Companion Animal Nutrition
- OAC Dean Rob Gordon to Become VP Research at Laurier
- Precision Feeding is The Future of Swine Production by Library PigCHAMP (Sep 15, 2015)
- New Ag Women’s Network being fuelled by passion
- Pointing Researchers To Practical, Beneficial Beef Industry Projects