McDonald’s recent announcement that it will buy eggs for its Canadian restaurants from producers using free-run barns is a sign that the focus of animal welfare is not only on suffering but on animal psyche.
The barns give hens the room to carry out a number of behaviours that research has shown they are highly motivated to do, including the once-daily trip to lay their egg in a nest, says University of Guelph animal-welfare scientist Tina Widowski.
News & Announcements
- Staff Position Available: Undergraduate Program Assistant
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Assistant/Associate Professor: Computational Biology Position Available
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- Studying animals (on an individual scale) with biosensors
- Graduate Seminar at Vern Osborne's Farm July 21, 2017
- 1 of 14
- next ›
2017/10/20 - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
2017/10/27 - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
2017/11/07 - 9:00am to 12:00pm