Animal and Poultry Science' Holly McGill was featured on At Guelph, Friday the 14th of February. She is a new Master of Science student who is continuing on with her undergraduate project entitled “The Effect of Direct-Fed Microbials on Nutrient Digestibility in Lactating Dairy Cows.” Her study aims to answer the question; Do probiotics have the same beneficial effects on cows as they do on humans? Working with Dr. Brian McBride, they are striving to increase feed efficiency through the use of probiotics during the time leading up to parturition and on set of lactation. This could be particularly beneficial to the dairy industry since cows rend to reduce feed intake at this time while energy demands are increased substantially.
News & Announcements
- 2017 ASAS Companion Animal Graduate Student Oral Presentation Winner Cara Cargo-Froom!
- The Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) Young Scientist Award Winner is Angela Cánovas!
- The Poultry Science Association Announces Its 2017 Award Winners - Gregoy Bedecarrats and Haley Leung
- Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Provides Funding for University of Guelph's Better Chicken Welfare Study
- Interview with an Animal Biology student
- Graduate Student Exercise Science Competition Winner at the Equine Science Society Symposium
- Professor Larry Schaeffer awarded ‘Doctor Honoris Causa’