‘Food for Health’: the production of animal products which are enhanced in key nutrients and compounds designed to improve human health.
- Development of value-added, nutritionally superior or tailored animal food products enhanced in key nutrients and compounds
- Examine biomedical properties of milk proteins
- Functional fats from dairy products and influence on insulin sensitivity and the development type II diabetes
- The influence of DHA/EPA enrichment of dairy products on visual/ brain development in infants and children (or the appropriate animal models)
- The influence of DHA/EPA enrichment of dairy products on inflammatory processes
- The influence of nervonic acid enrichment of dairy products on myelin formation
- Genetic engineering of microbes and animals for generating bioactives and functional foods.
- Value-added ingredients derived from animal by-products
- Identification of novel industrial enzymes from gut microbial systems of animals via microbial metagenomics
The use of genetic and other biological markers to optimize animal productivity, health and welfare and animal food product quality and yield
Determine how the housing and handling of animals affects their health and welfare and the quality of the products derived from them
- Optimize the productivity, health and welfare of animals in alternative and organic animal production system
News & Announcements
- 2017 ASAS Companion Animal Graduate Student Oral Presentation Winner Cara Cargo-Froom!
- The Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) Young Scientist Award Winner is Angela Cánovas!
- The Poultry Science Association Announces Its 2017 Award Winners - Gregoy Bedecarrats and Haley Leung
- Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Provides Funding for University of Guelph's Better Chicken Welfare Study
- Interview with an Animal Biology student
- Graduate Student Exercise Science Competition Winner at the Equine Science Society Symposium
- Professor Larry Schaeffer awarded ‘Doctor Honoris Causa’