Join me in congratulating Dr. John Walton on his Medal of Merit to be awarded during the convocation ceremonies this Thursday June 12th!
Dr. John Walton began his career in Animal and Poultry Science in 1979 as assistant professor, became associate professor in 1985. He was professor from 1990-2009 when he retired. Since then he has continued to be an asset to the department and its students. With 116 publications mainly focussing on heat detection, synchronization and conception rate problems in dairy cattle.
The Medal of Merit is awarded to Professors during retirement, who demonstrate outstanding contributions to teaching, make significant contributions to the functioning of the university and significantly contribute to the academic life and character of the university. John fits in all these categories.
He taught his animal reproduction courses, contributed to teaching of first year biology and is currently still very active in the Animal and Poultry Science department beyond his time of retirement. He is well revered by his student and has an average course evaluation score of 4.76/5 over the last ten years.
Most recently, in conjunction with Mark Carson Eastgen (course coordinator) and Dr. Ken Leslie (Dept. Pop Med.), he took on a group of students interested in preparing for and competing in the North American Inter-Collegiate Dairy Challenge. The group was successful this past April at the competition and this has contributed to Dr. Walton’s nomination for the Medal of Merit.
For his continued teaching and departmental support, there is no better candidate than Dr. Walton for the Medal of Merit. Congratulations to a great professor and mentor!
News & Announcements
- Congratulations to Caitlin Decina and Julia Krumma (Harlander Lab) who won “Best Student Talk” and “Best Student Poster” at the UoG CCSAW Research Day 2018
- Congratulations to Drs. Andronie Verbrugghe and Anna-Kate Shoveller on 2018 Winn Feline Foundation Grant
- Success at Dairy Challenge in California!
- Congratulations to Patrick Birkl for receiving the Best Student Presentation Award!
- Welcome Lee-Anne Huber!
- Tina Widowski awarded the OAC Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award for Extension
- Congratulations to Dr. Grégoy Bédécarrats for Receiving the 2017 Novus Outstanding Teaching Award!
- 1 of 12
- next ›
2018/05/29 - 10:30am to 11:30am
2018/05/31 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2018/06/15 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm
2018/07/20 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm
2018/08/17 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm