Dr. Donald Grieve, former Chair of the Department of Animal & Poultry Science, was inducted posthumously into the Middlesex County Agricultural Hall of Fame on March 8, 2017. The nomination was submitted by one of Don's former grad students, Paul Stevens.
"Dr. Don Grieve was born in Westminster Township, growing up on his family’s Century Farm. Don’s early experience developed his lifelong interest in dairy farming and improvements in cattle management methods.
Don attended the Ontario Agriculture College majoring in Animal Husbandry; graduating 1955 before continuing in Graduate Studies earning his Master’s Degree.
He joined the Ontario Department of Agriculture working in Elgin & Huron Counties. In 1962 Don accepted a position as Assistant Professor in the Animal Husbandry Dept. at O.A.C. In 1967 Don was granted leave to study at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York where he received a Ph.D. degree in dairy cattle nutrition. Farmers benefited greatly from his years of research on dairy cattle nutrition.
He also contributed to agriculture internationally as a team leader on the Guelph/Ghana (West Africa) Project and research in the Netherlands.
Dr. Grieve served as Chairman of the Dept. of Animal & Poultry Science at the University of Guelph from 1988 until he retired in 1994.”
His photo and full biography can be found by clicking http://www.westernfairdistrict.com/about/agricultural-hall-fame.
“The primary objective of the Agricultural Hall of Fame is to recognize those who have demonstrated unselfish achievements within the realm of agriculture and service to the rural community in Middlesex County and beyond.”
Don's portrait will be on display in the lobby of the Middlesex Agricultural Hall of Fame. His family is honoured to know that Don's portrait will be seen along with past inductees, including his brother William Grieve and Sir Adam Beck.
News & Announcements
- 2017 ASAS Companion Animal Graduate Student Oral Presentation Winner Cara Cargo-Froom!
- The Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) Young Scientist Award Winner is Angela Cánovas!
- The Poultry Science Association Announces Its 2017 Award Winners - Gregoy Bedecarrats and Haley Leung
- Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Provides Funding for University of Guelph's Better Chicken Welfare Study
- Interview with an Animal Biology student
- Graduate Student Exercise Science Competition Winner at the Equine Science Society Symposium
- Professor Larry Schaeffer awarded ‘Doctor Honoris Causa’
2018/01/25 - 9:00am to 10:20am
2018/01/26 - 1:15pm to 2:25pm
2018/02/10 - 9:00am to 5:00pm
2018/02/16 - 2:30pm to 3:30pm
2018/03/03 - 1:00pm to 4:00pm